Saturday, August 20, 2011

It's So Unfair!

There is just no other way to say it; every year I work hard, I strive to water, feed and watch carefully.  And then look at what happens!

My only turnip...food for root maggots.

Now granted, I did not sow these seeds, at least I didn't that I remember, though I have been known to regularly toss old seeds out in the compost heap so in essence I guess I did.   There were originally two of them, one wasn't so hot looking but this one...oh I had high hopes for.  It was gorgeous!  The tops looked fabulous and my mouth was watering.  I couldn't stand it any longer and yesterday I pulled this beauty up and what I found, well it wasn't pretty.  The root maggots had beat me to it.

This is what they got.
This is what we got.  Sad isn't it?

Confession: This  is what I hate about gardening.  Most of gardening I like or at least will do because it is needed in order to get a certain result, but this kind of thing is discouraging.  I mean, I only had two turnips!  Couldn't the darn flies go lay their stupid eggs somewhere else.  Really guys, can' ya give me a break!

Dirty little scoundrel!

Now yer lookin' more like the maggot you are!!!

Normally you won't see me growing turnips, radishes and other crops that are affected by these insidious creatures.  I've tried and I hate that I never seem to get the row cover on at the right time or forget to put in on all together...or think, "Maybe this year I won't have to."...that never ends well.  In all honestly, I'd rather buy my root crops at the market and not have to fuss with the root maggots.  So all I can say about this whole turnip growing thing for this year...Oh well, it was worth a try.

Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

  1. I understand exactly what you are saying! I vow every year I won't plant any straight yellow squash, but I do and than I have war with the squash bugs haha God Bless! TOL!

    ReplyDelete