Friday, August 26, 2011

Eggplant Anxieties

Do you ever have anxiety over not being able to find out why something isn't working or looking the way its supposed to in your garden?  It seems every year there is something in my garden that does it for me.  This year it is the eggplant.  They are actually growing fine but when I went to harvest the ripe ones the other day here is what I discovered on one of them.  It had me stumped.

Cracked netted skin...what???  How did this happen?


If you find these kinds of things going on the smartest thing to do is to find out why.  There is always a reason why.  Sometimes its important, sometimes it's not a big deal.  This I found out was because of watering issues.  I'm not very good sometimes at being as disciplined as I need to.

I looked all the places I thought would have the answers...Master Gardener sites...University pages...etc and with no luck.   Finally I asked my good pals at the Gardenaholics Anonymous group on Facebook and of course they new exactly what it was explained what happened.  Honestly, it is a little frustrating for me when I can't find my answers on line when I do a search on my own...but that is why I keep my gardening pals close at hand...they are such a wealth of information.  (Thanks everybody!...You know who you are!)

It doesn't help that I have two plants in a container that I KNEW was going to be a challenge to keep watered.  I made my own grief on this one.  Well...as my momma always said, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."  So now I am going to have to stay on top of the watering or figure out a way to get it planted in the ground without setting it back.  I think I'll cut my losses and just keep the hose primed.  Now if I can just remember to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment