Monday, April 11, 2011

Milk Jug Update and Other Garden Observations

For those of you who have been keeping up with my milk jug science project I have some updated photos to share.  These were taken a couple days after our freezing temperatures last week.

They should make it just fine.

Different varieties have different cold tolerances...this is a good thing to know

I got lazy and didn't bother to pull them up close to the house and figured...live or die.  I am happy to report they did just fine and are now sitting out in one of the raised beds.  Though their tops don't look like they are doing much, those roots are growing and I can't wait until I can finally plant them.

The flower stems of brussel sprouts are very yummy and tender.

While I was poking around out back I discovered blooms erupting on my left over brussel sprout plants.  (Oh yummy!)  They were tender and sweet and juicy...I love garden grazing.

Volunteer potato showing up in the garlic bed means there is garlic smashed potatoes in our future.

Across the isle from my grazing spot a bonus potato plant poked its head up in the middle of the this years garlic bed.  There seems to always be one I miss.

New growth on Lavender in early April

Across the yard new growth on my Lavenders which gave me a lovely flutter of hope.  I have Lavender plans.

My favorite Rhubarb

Then I saw the rhubarb. I have two types of rhubarb in my garden. One I spent good money on that turned out to be the puniest green stemmed variety known to man and which sports more blooms than I ever knew possible for a rhubarb and the other, a fat stemmed luscious ruby red version that I am still waiting to see some produce from.  Why do the things we really want seem to take so long to get established?  Oh well, all good things are worth waiting for.

That "other" rhubarb plant in bloom

Oh and before I forget...I had pulled up a start of the favorite rhubarb that I thought had died last year and ITS ALIVE!  Maybe there is hope for my rhubarb patch yet.  WOO HOO!

Slugs have begun to munch at Patty's Garden Buffet

In a corner stock pile of containers I saw this.  I had tossed these variegated Iris in a pot last fall hoping to get them in the ground but here they are...growing in spite of my neglect and have now become the main course on the slug's garden buffet line.  I best be getting the slugs baited or these babies will be ribbons in a few days.

Golden Bay shines this time of year.


On the way out to the garden the golden Sweet Bay, always shining, called to me like a siren song with its glowing gold foliage.  I have the plain green variety too but when I saw a photo of this plant in a cobalt container...it was just too much.  It has been my siren ever since.

Wanda Wanda beautiful Wanda

As I was leaving the back yard I spotted my little 'Wanda' Primula blooms sparkling in the shade of our fence.  (Oh my heart be still.)  I love these little beauties and it seems they like my garden too.

Happy Gardening!


Copyright © 2011 by Patty Hicks
All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including printing, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without written permission from the author, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review. All reviews must include author's name and a link back to this blog.

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed seeing all of your plants in your garden. Tell me about this "Wanda Primula". How did you come up with that name? I would love to have a piece of something with my name. ;-) :-) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update on the milk jug project--I've been wondering!

    Also, do you know what varieties of rhubarb you have? I just ordered some Victoria rhubarb seeds and I'm hoping it's not the "other" variety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanda, Primula 'Wanda' was not named by me but was named after Wanda Garryarde who was a breeder working on seed strains of polyanthus and primrose which were. 'Wanda' is one of the first seed strains of Primula juliana and is still a long time favorite. I believe Thompson and Morgan Seeds may carry it if you would like to grow your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daphne...I don't know which varieties they are unfortunately. Victoria may be the one I purchased as its stalks are red and green...more green than red actually. http://www.backyard-vegetable-gardening.com/rhubarb-varieties.html

    My thing is I don't have room for a pile of Rhubarb plants so I wanted the big producers. I should do a bit more research and see if I can get us more info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the update on the plant Patty. I would love to have that plant since it has my name. I imagine it would grow okay in our area. I will be looking for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Patty Hicks,
    I just wanted to say that I love your blog!
    I am a new blogger (just started a couple of days ago!) so I'm still getting the hang of it but I think your blog is so nice and hope mine will look half as good! My blog site is glimpsesofglory-karen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the kind words Karen and welcome to the blog-o-sphere. I'm still new or should I say, not as experienced in some aspects of blogging as others are.

    ReplyDelete